In order to keep things civil and provide a fair and friendly community experience in-game, we have found a list of rules to be a necessity. The enforcement of these rules is at the discretion of the moderation team, the basic rule of thumb is don’t be an idiot 😉
Things that will not get you banned
These things are annoying but will not directly result in a ban as they are gameplay weaknesses, however they may get you muted or kicked in some cases.
- Tanking and getting overrun, resulting in your & other players deaths
- Getting in the way when hunting because you suck
These rules are subject to change and will be updated retroactively as we encounter new issues and learn to handle them.
1. Verbal Abuse
You will be slapped first, then if you continue you will receive a warning, then an hour mute, then a one day banishment or longer. As your criminal record logs all of this, expect to be muted on a Thursday if you are mouthing off but were warned way back on Monday. We have a full audit trail now and will use it.
- Swearing in global channels
- Insulting other players
- Using a channel incorrectly e.g. advertising trades in English Chat, chatting in Trade Chat
- Advertising other games
- Using the wrong language in a specified global channel
- Offensive jokes
1 (b). Inappropriate Topics
As fun as freedom of speech is, there are some things we don’t want you bringing into Mirage. Namely:
- Pornography / Sex
Use of macros, bots, any automation tools whatsoever will result in a permanent ban. We have a zero tolerance policy on cheating.
2 (b). Exploits
Abusing an exploit or bug (depending on the severity of the issue) can lead to the permanent banishment of your account.
3. Account sharing, selling, trading, and buying
Players found to be sharing accounts, and accounts that are found to have been sold or traded will be banned forever. This includes accounts that have been “gifted”. Players found buying accounts will also be banned. In a game that rewards time invested, this kind of behaviour undermines the community and just can’t be allowed sorry. We get that you might “let your brother have a go”, or your friend might have a go at the bus stop or whatever – that is totally fine, but accounts that are found to be sharing consistently to gain an advantage will be shown no mercy.
4. Unacceptable names
Any names containing profanities, references of a sexual nature, deliberate rip-offs of well-known player names or anything that could be considered offensive in general will have their characters locked and be forced to choose new names. Two name locks in a row will result in a permanent ban.
5. Social media abuse
Things that you say and do on the forums, discord, facebook, twitter etc can affect you in the game. All of the above rules apply where appropriate, and in cases of serious abuse, I will take the time out of my day to cross reference IP addresses with the game server logs and punish any accounts I find.
Racist, sexist, or discriminating remarks will result in an immediate 1-day ban. A second offense will result in a 1-week ban, with a third resulting in a permanent ban. The team has no time for this nonsense.
7. Destructive behavior
Alright so this fairly simple, if you are deliberately doing something that is negatively affecting other players then that isn’t cool and you are opening yourself up for a 1-day ban or longer. Examples of destructive behavior are:
- Intentionally luring monsters to kill a player/players in a none-pvp zone
- Blocking other players deliberately to get them killed in none-pvp zones
- Demanding currency or items from a player in return for not killing them in none-pvp zones
- Sharing other people’s private information
- A low level hero spamming local chat
- Blocking safe zones (TEMPORARY until maps are larger and have better safe zones)
7 (b). Repeat Offenses
A player who has a history of breaking rules may be punished more severely and without warning slaps.
8. Trades / services involving real life currency
Any trade, service or transaction involving real life currency is not allowed. Players advertising buying or selling items / services for real money will be banned forever. The only situation where this is acceptable is if people are hosting events / trading items in return for donating to the server, in which case thank you very much. This rule is basically designed to stop other people from profiting off of Mirage.
8 (b). Trades / services involving out-of-game goods or services
Any trade, service or transaction involving out-of-game elements will result in a one week ban, followed by a permanent ban on second offence. Examples include but are not restricted to:
- Selling / trading accounts or items from other games
- Offering services in another game for items in Mirage
9. PvP Misconduct
PvP should be handled with respect. Currently the game does not have adequate systems in place to prevent excessive griefing of other players so continuously causing issues may result in warnings, or even being banned at this time. Again, this is a small indie project and there is a lot of work to do to make pvp fair still so, use your brain! Some examples of misconduct are:
- Killing entire maps of significantly lower level players
- Killing leveling parties that are unable to defend themselves
- Excessively killing a single player over and over again
10. Using multiple clients
Mirage is designed so you can meet other players and interact socially, it is not intended that players will have lots of accounts (or “alts” as they are called) that they use to help give themselves an advantage. As such, any player found to be using their own alt accounts to gain an advantage will have all of their accounts immediately permanently banned without warning. As such, you are under no circumstances allowed to:
- Log in on multiple accounts outside of town at the same time
This rule is very specific, and allows you to use an alt account to work around some features lacking in the game. You are allowed to:
- Have an alt online in town to buy / sell items
- Have an alt online in town to transfer items between characters
- Have an alt online in town to chat with other players