Unfortunately I had an accident at the gym on Thursday that saw me wasting much of Friday in A&E, I worked my ass off in the evening however and have managed to get the first pass of the new PVP changes implemented.
Here are the changes in today’s update…
- If you have no skull, attacking a skulled player who has not attacked you first will:
- PVP flag you, locking you out of safe zones
- Give you a yellow skull that you and they can see
- Make you a “justified” kill for them
- Combat timer overhaul:
- PVP cooldowns now persist through PVE actions, making it much easier to lose a skull
- Killing a player gives you a 10 minute PVP cooldown
- Deleted characters are now exempt from highscores
- Deleted characters no longer show up in the moderator’s /view command
- Fix for moderator logs UI crash
Server side hotfix @ 1am…
- Monsters remembered how to switch targets
Why do we need yellow skulls?
In mirage skulls are used to indicate that a player has been involved in PVP combat and there will be no penalty for killing them. This wasn’t working with just white skulls as if you were white skulled attacking someone for whatever reason and other players jump into the fight against you, they could just run back into the safe zones if you fought back despite the fact you would actually be defending yourself at that point. Now, a yellow skull indicates that a player you haven’t attacked has decided to jump into the fight. Only you and that person can see that they have a yellow skull (so to bystanders it will still look like you are just being a murderous nutcase) but when you see a yellow skulled player it lets you (and the game) know a few things:
- It is justified for you to kill them, there will be no penalty (when penalties are added)
- They are now blocked from safe zones, just like you
So if I defend myself I get a yellow skull?
No. If you are minding your own business and someone comes and starts attacking you, you are free to both fight them back and run into the safe zone. If someone else who isn’t involved sees you getting attacked and decides to hit the white skulled player, they will get a yellow skull that the person attacking you will be able to see, and they will not be able to run into a safe zone like you can as they joined a fight.
This system will be greatly expanded upon in the near future. Cheers.